Ants are the tiny red, black, or brownish insects that can invade your home, and you may feel helpless sometime to get rid of them. Have you tried many things for this, some of them you find useless to achieve the goal? Here is an effective and inexpensive method to treat them and prevent them in less time. They have large colonies that you have to tackle to take the procedure some to work.
Can Diatomaceous Earth Kill Ants?
It is a fine white powder that many people use as an insecticide. Diatomaceous earth can kill many insects like bed bugs, ticks, cockroaches, beetles, slugs, etc. It is an easily available product and easy to use also. No complications are found if you care about some cautions in its usage. It is naturally produced, and the name comes from diatoms and begins to use as a pesticide in 1960.
The powder is made up of the fossilized skeletons of diatoms and algae. Diatomaceous earth can kill insects quickly when they inhale or ingest. It affects the breathing tube, eyes, or lungs severely. Moreover, it also affects their outer skin, the skin dries up completely, and they die.
How to apply diatomaceous earth against ants infestation?
Here are a few steps that can help you to tell about the usage of insecticide. Read them before you are going to use them.
- Search for the points where the ants are marching and go along to find the source of food.
- Once you reach the nests and walk points, then take them as a targeted area.
- Wear a dust mask to avoid inhaling diatomaceous earth. It is harmless for human beings if you use it through the mouth.
- Take a sprinkler and fill that powder into it.
- Spread it in a thin layer where you see them marched. Sprinkle it directly on the places where you see they are nesting.
- You have to spread it along with the corners of all the rooms, along the baseboards, windows, tiles, on the floor, etc. Also, see carefully the small cracks where they are nesting.
- Now, wait for 24 to 48 hours approximately. See, the results are then before you. Check the areas keenly and see what’s happening there.
- Remove the powder when all ants have been killed. It also removes the pheromones, which can attract more ants. Wash the floor and clean the surfaces carefully.
- About the outside of the home, you can sprinkle it around all the borders and foundations of the earth. Apply it in a minimum amount besides the walls to take them away.
How Many Types Of Diatomaceous Earth Are There?
It is a white powder and consists of two common types. One is called ‘food-grade,’ and the other is ‘filter grade.’ We know filter grade as ‘non-food grade’ and contains 60% of crystalline silica, which is not safe for human use but beneficial in some other industrial uses like water filtration etc.
Is Diatomaceous Earth Safe For You?
Yes! It is safe to use even than any other method. It is low in crystalline silica, which is safe for us to use. Other products are toxic, and you can’t use them safely, but in the case of diatomaceous earth, it is safe to use them. It’s a natural and non-chemical substance that is totally harmless if not inhaled. People use this for the detoxication of the body.
Which Diatomaceous Earth Is Safe For Humans?
Food grade diatomaceous earth is safe for human beings to use if consumed. The use of large quantities can harm your lungs if inhaled. So avoid inhaling it if you are using it in a large amount. An easy way you can apply for prevention is to wear a dust mask.